Here at Blue Arrow Care we’ve decided to highlight ten reasons why care workers should be justifiably proud of what you do.
1. You make a difference. The days may be long and tiring but at the end of the shift you know you made someone feel better, more comfortable, listened to and not ignored.
2. You’re appreciated. There are not many jobs where you get so many thank yous in one day. Or smiles!
3. You’re in a privileged position. It might not feel like it when you’re in the middle of someone’s personal care routine but they’re placing their total trust and confidence in you and that’s a real honour.
4. Lots of rewards – especially when seeing big changes in those who were ill or lacking in confidence. Smaller but no less important daily rewards are seeing people comfortable and well cared for.
5. You get to learn about yourself. The physical and emotional demands will see your personal resilience levels soar.
6. You learn from others. You get to hear other people’s fascinating life stories and experiences. With age comes wisdom so listen to those little gems passed on by 90-year-old XXX.
7. You can have lots of laughs. Care homes and hospitals are far from fun-free zones – there’s probably more sharp wit and humour there than in a Crack Comedy Club – Kingston night.
8. The profession needs you. The care sector is going to need huge numbers of experienced staff to cope with growing demand. By 2030 the number of older people with care needs is predicted to rise from 2.5 million to 4.1 million.
9. Learn something new every day. You’ll discover skills you never knew you had.
10. A sweet one to finish and the sector’s best kept secret! Care homes and hospitals are always full of cakes, biscuits, and chocolates.